One day John called and said please book a plane ticket and come see me. My first stop was in Dallas and my sweet family (my Uncle Harry and Aunt Pat) picked me up at 10:00pm and took me back at 4:00am. They fed me dinner and we stayed up chatting till like 2:00am. I could not be grateful enough to spend time with loved ones and not sleep in another airport! Coming home last time was a nightmare sleeping in Puerto Rico, I don't want to do that again. Then I was off to Miami and then St. Kitts. John arranged with the sweet missionary couple that they would pick me up and take me to the ferry. After standing in customs for over an hour (with no air-conditioner/sweating my guts out) I come out to find my luggage almost being taken away by another couple. A local airport worker helped me with my three bags and said he would take me in the good line where they won't charge me any extra fees. YAY! I had no E.C. money to pay him so Elder and Sister Hadlock gave him money. They joked that they almost left me at the airport because I took forever. They even pulled my luggage up to the ferry with me and payed for my ride. It's so nice to have loving members who help you in a time of need. It was $700 cheaper to fly into St. Kitts and take the ferry, so just add it to the adventure. After the 45 minute ride I was bent down tugging my luggage together when John, Jake and Marsha showed up. It was very anti-climatic, not like the movie reuniting you would like it to be, but at least he got there just in the nick of time before a bum tried to help me with my luggage. Thanks Marsha for picking me up in your car, it would have been pretty rough on the scooter:) I attended some of John's classes and I read and hung out in the library a couple days. I found I don't have a very good attention span anymore. It was so much fun riding on the back of the scooter with him on the way to school!! The views are amazing, it's a pretty nice way to start your morning! A feeling I can't even describe! Here's us at school with the trusty scooter...
It was like Christmas opening my bags for John, Jake and Marsha...it was so fun to see how excited they were for new stuff. From protein powder to clothes to scooter stuff they just couldn't wait!
This is Marsha and her kids Preston and Madison, her home is on the other side of the island. They absolutely love to play with John, it is adorable.
Here are Johns new additions to his room.
My mom had the best idea for these collage posters for the walls, they turned out amazing!
This is a dry erase wall so John can draw diagrams and notes he needs to. It is much more useful than I think he thought it would be.
John was also nice enough to find me friends to hang out with for a couple days. Tuesday Tanya, Katie and I went to Nisbet beach and Thursday Mount Nevis Hotel to hang out at the pool and have lunch. It was very relaxing. Friday we played tennis with some of Johns new friends, Nema and Jay. They are both really nice guys and it was great getting to know them. It was so nice to already know lots of people from the last adventure on Nevis, everyone kept asking when I would be moving here. There is such a great bond with the students at the school, it's like everyone is there to help each other with the transition to island life and crazy school. Which by the way I should brag that John is doing amazing. He studies his guts out and sits on the front row...Ahh he is my nerdy husband! I couldn't be any more proud of him!
We had a bug invasion I should have taken pictures to show all the yucky black beatles. So I guess you could say John's roomate is kind of messy. In one of his cabnets he had an open pasta bag and the bugs took over. He sprayed raid all over the cabnets, dishes,counters and floor. Put lots of them in a garbage bag and yelled he was off to school. So my day consisted of cleaning it all up. It was disgusting to say the least. I get the kitchen clean and come out to the front door where Jake left the garbage and beatle bugs are crawling up the walls everywhere! I screamed for John and he heroically came and helped me kill and crunch these creatures. We then took the bags on the scooter down to the trash which is about a 5 minute drive and as we approach the trash cans I look down and the beatles have come out of the bags and are crawling up my arms! I jump off screaming like a lunatic and yelling that I hate Jake. John being composed just watched me until I was ready to return home. What a lovely day that was.
John outside the grocery store. It is so different to pack all your groceries in your backpack to take them home. This is our favorite bakery. The doughnuts are to die for!! Of course we had to drive clear downtown for a yummy treat.
We haven't made it inside yet but this is the four seasons. Maybe one day we could actually stay there. Ha. Ha. The cheapest room is like $1000 a night.
When the british were on the island this is were the white people went to church (up on the hill) and the one lower down (that I almost cut out of the picture) is where the slaves would attend. Maybe that is why a lot of Nevisians don't like white people because they are all the desendents from the slaves that were left behind when the british left.
We love the Yaghtsmen. It is American owned and the food tastes great! We went to celebrate a friends birthday. We arrived at 8:00pm and didn't get home till 11:00pm, it's the Nevisian way so you just know it will take a while. Happy birthday Dan!
The couselor of the mission president of the Caribbean Islands Broher/Sister Hymac and Elder/Sister Hadlock from St. Kitts flew into Nevis to meet John during one of his lunch breaks. They discussed his purpose there. He told John that everything in life happens for a reason and there are no coincidences. He told him he was fulfilling Gods promise...his promise of providing the priesthood everywhere on the earth. Two weeks after we initially arrived the only other priesthood holder, left the island because he finished school. He promised him if he fulfilled his priesthood and stayed close with the Lord he would be taken care of while he was on the island and do well in school. Of course as John tells me this I am crying uncontrollably. Just another answer to our prayers!
I'm so grateful for any little time I get with my Bubba. Even just touching toes while he studies is amazing! The goodbyes are pretty rough but I wouldn't trade any bit of time together even if I have to cross the whole world to get to him!
Saturday, June 25, 2011
2nd Trip to Nevis
Posted by John and Nicole Makoni at 12:29 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







0 comments:
Post a Comment